About Boost Oregon
Boost Oregon came into existence because our founder, Nadine Gartner, recognized the need for childhood vaccination education in Oregon. While pregnant with her first child, Nadine realized that educated, smart parents in her Portland community chose not to vaccinate at all or to delay their children’s vaccination schedules.
Nadine learned that these parents reached those decisions by researching online and conferring with other vaccine-hesitant parents.
She did her own online research and was shocked at the prolific and vehement anti-vaccination sentiments that surfaced. The only pro-vaccine messaging came from the federal and state governments, entities that many parents distrust. Nadine realized that parents made their decisions based on fear and false and misleading information, rather than actual facts, and that parents shared this misinformation with one another.
Boost Oregon aims to disrupt this dangerous cycle of misinformation by providing evidence-based education without fear or degradation. Recognizing that all parents want to make the best possible decisions for their children’s health, Boost Oregon promotes vaccination against childhood diseases by:
- Hosting free workshops for new and expecting parents, taught by medical professionals, that present the facts and dismantle the myths;
- Providing seminars to doctors, nurses, midwives, naturopaths, and other medical professionals on how best to talk to their patients about this charged issue and promote vaccination;
- Presenting information at birthing classes to give expecting parents all of the information they need to make the right choices before the arrival of their babies;
- Creating and maintaining this informative yet welcoming website that counters the anti-vaccination misinformation online;
- Printing and distributing educational pamphlets and manuals for parents, providers, and school officials;
- Coaching parent volunteers to speak to their friends and neighbors about the benefits of vaccination; and
- Changing the tone of the conversation around vaccines to promote the facts and eradicate fear.
Thank you for your interest in protecting Oregon’s children and building a healthy future for all Oregonians!
sTATEMENT OF eQUITY
Boost Oregon is a community of parents, medical providers, and concerned citizens with a commitment to inclusivity and diversity. We serve all people, regardless of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status. We aim to practice diverse representation through our policies and practices, including through board and committee member representation, staff and contract employees' hiring, and images used in print and web-based materials. We expect all representatives of Boost Oregon - board members, staff, and volunteers - to conduct themselves with the same commitment to human rights, respect, and tolerance.